SBM Logo
HeaderPic

Home News Fleet Events
Contact us
Links
The Fleet

S-type

AEC 403/S-type, CY 5981. Fleet no: 60, O54RO

The first forward control buses delivered to South Wales Transport were four 403-type 54 seat open top double deckers with 5.1 litre engines very similar to the S-type then entering service with London General. This bus was one of the next batch of seven delivered in 1923 and is therefore the oldest surviving SWT bus. It still contains signs in the windows for Mumbles and retains the fleet name in gold leaf.  Though she has no engine or gearbox the body has survived remarkably well, and shows a wealth of interesting details from that period. Unlike other restored examples from that era, the bus retains the pneumatic tyres,as fitted by SWT in the late 1920s. We understand that following service with SWT it was part-exchanged for the 1932 delivery of AEC Regents, ending up at a dealer's yard at Loughborough Junction in south London.

Bedford OB

Bedford OB, FUT 58, Body: Duple C29

New to Smith of Syston, Leicestershire in 1949. It saw subsequent service with Eagle of Castle Acre in the 1970s before being retired for preservation in 1978. It has been with its present private owner since 2006, with plans for its restoration in the pipeline.

 

447

AEC Regent V MD3RV, MCY 407. Fleet no. 447. Engine AV470, 7.75 litre. Body MCW Orion H32/28R

One of 20 (440-459) delivered new to SWT in Dec 1955, the first 10 being highbridge, the remainder lowbridge 56 seaters. It is one of four highbridge versions fitted with platform doors, the others being 441/2/4. Being the tenth Regent V ever made, 447 is the oldest survivor. 447 worked on the Llanelli town service until its disposal in early 1967. After a short time with Whippet of Huntingdon, it moved to Charlton-on-Otmoor Motor Services near Oxford in November 1968. It was acquired, in very poor condition, by the 447 group in 1982 and after much restoration passed its MOT in February 1989. During the 1990s it ran a visitor service around Pembrey Country Park, near Llanelli. 447 was acquired by us in June 2010 and thanks to the hard work of Alan West underwent a major restoration that was completed in October 2015, just ahead of its 60th birthday.

1203

AEC Bridgemaster B3RA041, UCY 837. Body: Park Royal H41/31R. Engine AV690, 11.3 litres

1203 was one of a batch of five (1203 - 1207) delivered new to South Wales Transport in October 1959, with four (1199 - 1202, RCY 369 - 372) having been delivered in January of that year. Following disposal to PVS of Canvey Island, it passed to City, Upminster in August 1969, It was sold to Kirby of Busheyheath in March 1970, where it was fitted with platform doors. It then went to Cinema Travel of Twickenham in July 1972. 1203 ended up in the yard of Denyer's Coaches in Essex, from where it returned to Swansea in October 2002. It later moved to Pencader where the engine and running gear were fully restored, with the bus once again moving under its own power in January 2007. However, due to a further period of external storage the bodywork and interior deteriorated further. It was acquired by the museum in February 2011, with the body subsequently undergoing major reconstruction before returning to the road in October 2014. 1203 is one of only four rear-entrance Bridgemasters known to survive in preservation.
Click on the photo for restoration pictures.

RM66

AEC Routemaster VLT 66. LT Fleet number RM66

New in November 1959 and initially based at Poplar garage, VLT 66 went on to a further 13 garages before being withdrawn and sold in July 1987. It was converted at Lamming of Coulsdon into a single-deck tow bus/engineering support vehicle. However, weighing in at 5 tons, it was deemed too light for serious towing and was sold to Allmey's of Eastcote in 1990 then BTS Coaches in 1994. In 1996 it was acquired from Ripley of Carlton by the 447 Preservation Group of Llanelli. 66 was purchased by us in 2010 and is now fully restored, frequently appearing at rallies at which it doubles as a 4 bed camper van!

RM308

AEC Routemaster WLT 308. LT Fleet number RM308

New to London Transport's West Ham garage in June 1960, RM308 was withdrawn at Tottenham in February 1985 and purchased by JCB Highway of Uttoxeter in April 1985. Following use as a publicity vehicle for Singapore Airlines, it passed into preservation and was kept at a farm in Northamptonshire. Since being re-homed at the museum, RM308 has been painstakingly restored to its original condition, with major interior upper deck refurbishment completed in early 2014. RM308 is a rare vehicle in the Routemaster world due to having been reunited with its original body during its last overhaul in service.

38 - Sep13

AEC Regent V 2D3RA, 282 DWN, Body: Roe B37F

New in 1963, SWT fleet no 38 is the sole survivor of only eight such buses ever made. It was specially designed to pass under low bridges in the New Dock area of Llanelli, one of which had just 9ft clearance. It formed part of a batch of six (35-40) bought to replace the 1950 batch of Regal III models as well as supplement another two, 33 and 34 (TCY101/2) purchased in 1959. It was withdrawn in 1972 and sold to Bedlington & District in Northumberland before being bought by the West Yorkshire Transport Circle. The National Museum of Wales acquired the bus in the late 1980s with SWT restoring it for display. It was for a time loaned to the 447 group of Llanelli, before being been stored at Nantgarw for many years with the engine removed. 38 was donated to Swansea Bus Museum in April 2011, complete with two engines, a gearbox and many spares. Following what was at times was a very frustrating restoration, 38 passed the MOT on May 10th 2013. In September 2013 she underwent replacement of damaged body panels and a full external repaint. In April 2015, a major refurbishment of the interior was completed and a fresh MOT obtained. Click on the photo for restoration pictures.

586

AEC Regent V 154 FCY. Fleet number 586. Body: Willowbrook. Seats: 71. Engine AV 590, 9.6-litre.

586 was new to SWT in 1963, operating from Ravenhill and Brunswick garages in Swansea. After withdrawal it was sold to Cottage Garage in Llanelli, who used it as an office and mobile advert. It was originally purchased for preservation in 1989 by Andrew Gibb who repainted it into the SWT colours it is in today.

586 is now part of the Swansea Bus Museum collection, with a new clutch fitted in 2017. She is presently undergoing rear panel replacement.

590

AEC Regent V 423 HCY. Fleet number 590. Engine AEC AV691, 11.3L. Body: Weymann H39/32F M1467

The AEC Regent V was SWT's standard double-deck chassis throughout the 1960s, although this 1964 batch was unusual since 3 different styles of bodywork were purchased. 590 was one of 9 fitted with Weymann bodies. This bus operated mainly in the Llanelli area until being withdrawn in 1980. After serving as an exhibition bus for Flyaway Ltd, it was sold to a Peugeot dealer in Loughor for promotional purposes. Restoration by its present owner commenced in 2007 and was completed in May 2010, with 590 now restored to its original 1964 SWT livery.

636

AEC Regent V 2D3RA, GWN 867E. Body: 27' Willowbrook. Fleet no. 639. Seats 64

New in January 1967 as fleet number 639 (renumbered to 839 in 1970, then 889 in 1977) and part of the last batch of Regents purchased by SWT. In 1965 SWT standardised on these shorter 27'6" (8.5m) 64 seat buses rather than the earlier 30' (9m) 71 seaters. 639 was the very last Regent V to run on February 27th 1982, the last day of AEC Regent operation by SWT. It was sold (along with 636) to the Pembrokeshire Agricultural Society for use as a mobile judges and commentary box on the showground at Withybush, near Haverfordwest. It was purchased by the museum and in February 2012 successfully passed the MOT in tme for the 30th anniversary Regent V running day. The bus has been restored in SWT pre-NBC livery.

Fleet215

AEC Reliance 6MU3R, KKG 215F. Body: Marshall DP41F. Engine: AV505

New, as part of a batch of 15, to Western Welsh on Sept 1st 1967 in blue and ivory livery. Transferred to South Wales Transport in 1972 when the Neath Abbey depot came under their control. Upon withdrawal on Jan 1st 1979, 215, as well as 2 others of the same batch (204 and 209), was converted into a yellow towing vehicle, and in 1991 transferred to the Brewers fleet in Port Talbot. 215 first entered preservation in 1994 and is part-prepared for return to its original 1967-1971 livery.

756

Leyland National Mark 1, JTH 756P

New to SWT in 1975, passing to Cowdrey of Gosport by 1991. Its most recent lease of life was across the Bristol Channel at Grenville College, Bideford. From there it was swiftly acquired by dealer, Martin Perry, Bromyard and then purchased by the Group within the same week. 756 is currently part way through a major overhaul in preparation for a return to the road.

MOD571P

Bristol VRT, MOD 571P. Chassis: VRT/SL3/1457. Engine: Gardner 6LXB. Body: ECW O43/32F

Originally a hard top bus (H43/32F), 571 was new to Western National Omnibus Co Ltd in May 1976, carrying Devon General branding. Following the break-up of Western National in 1983, 571 remained with Devon General until 1987 when it was put up for sale by Green’s, a dealer in Weymouth. It was purchased by Western National Ltd - a different entity from the original owner, operating solely in Cornwall & Plymouth.
571 was purchased for spares by People’s Provincial in April 1993 but entered service due to its good condition. It was converted to its present open top layout in 1995. Following First’s acquisition of the company in 1999 it remained in the First Hampshire & Dorset fleet, operating open top services to Portland Bill until April 2011, when it transferred to First Cymru as fleet number 39971. It operated a service between Swansea and Limeslade during the summers of 2011 and 2012. Following a decision not to run the service in 2013, it was kept in storage at Pontardawe and donated to Swansea Bus Museum in April 2014 in recognition of Peter Nedin's retirement from First Cymru after 45 years service. MOD 571P was the last Bristol VR to be owned and operated by the FirstGroup, so its passing into preservation marked the end of an era.

RGS 598R

Bedford YMT, RGS 598R. Chassis Bedford FW454711. Engine: Bedford 500. Body Duple Dominant II C57F

Originally built with to a standard 11 metre length, the chassis went to Tricentrol Chassis Developments at Skimpot Lane Luton. where it was cut just in front of the rear axle and a plate fitted, this extended the wheelbase by 18 inches, while a further 18 inches was added to the rear of the axle to enlarge the boot. Duple then added a Dominant II body, number 679/7300.

In September/October 1976 this 12 metre coach was displayed in the demonstration park at Earls Court for the Commercial Motor Show. After extensive testing during the next six months, it was registered RGS598R and placed into service on 1 April 1977 by Tricentrol Coaches Limited of Tavistock Street Dunstable. It spent the next five years in service with Tricentrol, operating various coach services including some operated in conjunction with National Express. In May 1982 it was purchased by Eagre Coaches of Morton near Gainsborough in Lincolnshire. It remained with them until May 1995 when it was bought by Spratts of Wreningham in Norfolk.

It was bought in 2002 for the sole purpose of driver training and obtaining a class D licence. Arriving with us in May 2016, this rare beast is currently being restored to its original Tricentrol colours.

RTH931S

Bristol VR, RTH 931S. Chassis: VRT/SL3/1011. Engine: Leyland O501/Gardner 6LX. Body: Eastern Coachworks CO43/31F

Delivered new to SWT in 1977 as a convertible bus with detachable roof. 931 was sold to Badgerline in in 1990 for use on the Bath City tour, with its Leyland engine being replaced with a Gardner 6LXB from a withdrawn bus (OWC 295K) in June 1992. Transferred to Penzance for the Penwith Tour route in 2003, then purchased for preservation in 2007. Having been off the road since 2010, it's presently being repainted into BET Crimson livery.

961

Bristol VRT WTH 961T. Chassis: VRT/SL3/1855. Engine: Gardner 6LXB. Body: ECW H43/31F

New to SWT in 1979, 961 worked mainly from the Swansea and Pontardawe garages. In 1980 it was one of six loaned to Crosville for new services in Crewe for which their new vehicles were not yet delivered. It was sold to Western National in 1990, operating in Devon & Cornwall until 2004. The original Leyland engine was replaced by Gardner 6LXB in 1993 and refurbished in 1999. 961 was bought for preservation in 2005 and is now fully operational, having been repainted back into its original NBC red livery. It gained a new MOT in February 2012 and featured in Bus & Coach Preservation's August 2012 issue.

Beth

AEC Reliance 760, BTH 365V. Body: Duple Dominant II

The superb coach was new to Eynon's of Trimsaran in November 1979. From 1987 she was operated with registration 1189 PP by Baldry's of North Yorkshire,and treated her to a full rebuild in 2001. The upholstery was fully retrimmed into National Express moquette by Eastgates of Pickering. Since the rebuild she covered just 15,000 miles before being rehomed at the museum in April 2012.

In the autumn of 2014 she was acquired by the newly-established Brown Bombers Club and christened "Beth". The club was formed by 3 former Neath & Cardiff Luxury Coaches drivers who wished to set up a travelling display of the N&C story. Although too young to be an N&C coach, Beth was painted into N&C livery in tribute to the company. She can be viewed at the museum as well at various shows during the rally season. For more information, search "Brown Bombers Club" on Facebook.

978_Jul2014

Bristol VRT, BEP 978V. Chassis: VRT/SL3/2299. Engine: Leyland O501 Body: ECW H43/31F

978 was new to the SWT Ravenhill depot in early 1980. In the run-up to SWT becoming privatised in 1987 it was one of the VRs that were kept in stock for an anticipated increase in passenger numbers. In reality it was used for "day" runs, such as school contracts and was allocated a sole dedicated driver. Later in life it transferred to Pontardawe from where it was withdrawn by First Cymru in July 2000 and stored at Tycroes. From there it was acquired by a private owner for preservation during 2003 before being purchased by the museum in 2005.

Restoration of this highly original bus was completed in August 2014. The post-deregulation SWT green livery has been retained to complement the red NBC livery on sister vehicle 961. 978 was featured in the December 2016 of Bus & Coach Preservation magazine

820

Leyland National 2 NL116L11/1R, CCY 820V. Engine: Leyland 680 Interior: B52F

820 was new to South Wales Transport in 1980. In 1988 it transferred to Stevenson's of Uttoxeter, then to Yorksshire Woollen the year after. In 1997, 820 was acquired by Crosville Cymru where she stayed until 1998 before being sold to a film and TV company for use as a facilities vehicle. Now stored with us while awaiting restoration.

263

Leyland Tiger, NTH 263X. Body: Plaxton Viewmaster Express

This rare-bodied Tiger was new to Vale of Llangollen Tours as GCA 126X in March 1982. It was later re-registered as 6052 VT then SNT 808X before being sold to Williams Brothers of Upper Tumble, near Llanelli, in April 1987. Between June 1987 and April 1996 it carried the registration of 7 WTJ before becoming NTH 263X until the end of service around 2006.

DFP492Y

Leyland Tiger, DFP 492Y. Leyland TRCTL11/3R with EL Myllenium DP49F bodywork.

New in May 1983 to Trimdon Motor Services of County Durham and registered BAJ 637Y, complete with Plaxton C49FT bodywork. Following several changes of registration it ended up at Andrews Sheffield Omnibus.
Acquired by Strathtay in September 1999 and rebodied by East Lancashire Coachbuilders, it returned to service as fleet number 427 in May 2000 with EL Myllenium DP49F bodywork. Based at Dundee for much of its new life, it was renumbered 25815 and painted into Stagecoach livery following their acquisition of the Traction Group in 2006.
Reregistered as DFP 492Y, it was sold to Woottens of Chesham in April 2008, subsequently passing to Cresta Coaches of Alresford, Hants in 2014. It was purchased by one of our Trustees in fully MOT'd and running condition in February 2017.

903

Leyland Olympian, C903 FCY. Body: Eastern Coachworks H45/30F

903 was one of seven Olympians - the final batch of new double deckers delivered to SWT - delivered in September 1985. It was an early adopter of the Cummins L10 engine and Voith automatic gearbox, and with its high ratio rear axle and unrestricted engine was capable of 70mph on the motorway. Due to reliability problems, the original electronic destination panel was soon replaced by the traditional blind mechanism. Following service with SWT & First Cymru, 903 was purchased by Chepstow Classic Buses and used on shuttle services, notably for the Glastonbury Festival. She was repainted into an all-over blue in early 2008. Having been out of service since mid 2009, 903 was acquired by us in November 2012, She is in good running order and currently undergoing a repaint into its original NBC Poppy Red livery.

D230 LCY

Mercedes Benz L608D, D230 LCY. Body: Robin Hood B20F

South Wales Transport had a passion for the Robin Hood-bodied Mercedes Benz L608D considering them to be very simple, low cost and incredibly robust vehicles. First registered on October 9, 1986, 20-seat Fleet No. 230 was one of the second batch delivered to the company. The vehicle entered service on October 26, 1986 as one of a number operating the popular ‘hail and ride’ Town Mini service at Neath. Having been withdrawn in 1997 restoration work on this vehicle began in January 2016 with the aim of getting her operational and completing yet another piece in the jigsaw that is the history of SWT.

Lion-wide

Leyland Lion / Alexander RH LDTL11/1R, D160 UGA. Body: CH49/37F

As one of only 32 ever made, this unusual underfloor engined bus, based on a DAB design and originally registered D852 RDS, was one of six coach-seated double deckers ordered by Kelvin Scottish in June 1987. Due to Kelvin being unable to take delivery, it passed back to Leyland where it saw some use as a demonstrator at SYTPE in Sheffield. It moved to Clydeside Scottish where it acquired former Routemaster registration 705 DYE. In July 1994 it passed to independent operator Cottrells of Mitcheldean with registration number D160 UGA. It was bought by Fowlers Travel of Spalding, Lincs, in 2007, where it adopted the 'Ambers' fleet brand and registration YDO 823.

fleet501

Dennis Dart 9SDL, L501 HCY. Body: Plaxton Pointer B35F

The first SWT Dennis Dart, new in October 1993, allocated fleet no. 501. Initially based at Ravenhill depot before moving to Llanelli,it later formed part of the Brewers fleet. Following service at Bridgend depot of First Cymru as fleet number 46501, it was taken out of service following a front end accident. The museum acquired the vehicle in January 2009.

Repair and restoration commenced in 2014, with a return to its original green SWT livery planned.

580

Dennis Dart 9.2 SLF, P580 BTH. Body: Plaxton Pointer B31F

This Dennis Dart was one of the first batch of the Super Low Floor (SLF) version supplied new to South Wales Transport in November 1996, and the last new bus painted in SWT/First green livery. Prior to being painted into First "Barbie" livery, 580 carried all over advertising for local radio staion "The Wave". Withdrawn from service and donated to the museum by First Cymru in October 2012,

P339VWR

Volvo B10M, P339 VWR. Body: Plaxton C53F

New to Wallace Arnold with a C50F body in May 1997. After a period with National Holidays it passed to Thomas of Llangadog where it remained in service until the company's closure in 2017. The seating was increased following removal of the toilet area.

Thanks to Dave Bemmer, Glyn Bowen, Duane Curtis,Andrew Porter and Richard Field for their valuable contributions
   
Home News Fleet Events
Contact us
Links

© SWTPG LTD 2017